In the world of dentistry, prevention is key to keeping a healthy mouth—and saving a lot of money in restorative dental care down the road.
With regular dentist appointments, you help us identify problems while they are still small. After all, the smaller the problem, the more manageable the treatment!
At Urgent Dental Care of New Hampshire, we can take care of your preventive dentistry needs by seeing you and your family twice each year for examinations and cleanings. Our entire team will do what they can to ensure you understand how best to take care of your oral health for a lifetime.
Don’t put off your next appointment!
What Is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry includes sticking to the recommended number of checkups each year so you can get your teeth professionally cleaned and checked for any problems that might be developing. By visiting your dentist twice each year, you can protect your smile—and your wallet. Preventive dental care is far less expensive than treating problems that have become serious.
What Are Good Preventive Dentistry Strategies?
- Good preventive care starts in children as soon as their first tooth erupts. Bring children into the dentist so they are accustomed to the sights and sounds there. If they are comfortable with the dentist as kids, they are more likely to be comfortable with the dentist as adults.
- Practice good oral hygiene at home. Brush at least twice each day and floss at least once each day to help remove plaque. Plaque is the sticky film that builds up on your teeth and leads to gum disease and tooth decay.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste and mouth rinse as part of your normal home-care routine. A great deal of research shows that fluoride can strengthen teeth as well as inhibit tooth decay.
- Eat a healthy diet and watch your intake of sugars and carbohydrates, which can feed acid-producing bacteria. Make sure you get enough calcium to keep bones—including your jawbone—strong and healthy.
- Stay current with regular dental visits. Sometimes you might be unaware of an issue because there are no symptoms and they can only be discovered during a dental exam. Problems that are discovered while they are still small are more easily treated. Have your teeth professional cleaned every six months to remove plaque and calculus, which can only be removed with professional dental instruments.
- Get an annual dental x-ray. This will enable your dentist to see problems before they are even visible to the naked eye. Other dental technology, such as an intraoral camera, can also be used for early detection and patient education
- If you have a chronic dental condition, such as gum disease, be sure to follow your dentists’ recommended treatment. This might mean visiting your dentist more than twice each year.
- Avoid tobacco products. Both chewing and smoking tobacco can have a detrimental impact on your oral health. These products can cause everything from dry mouth to oral cancer.
Call Urgent Dental Care of New Hampshire
Call us for an appointment and we can go over good preventive care strategies for you and your family. We look forward to seeing you!
I travel from 2 hours away to see the doctors at this office. I have been going there for all my dental care since they took a tooth out for ... Read more